- "My name is Maes Stryder, inventor, scientist and officer of the Pirate Hunters. I fight alongside my crew, I craft weapons and I ensure the preservation of justice. And I also kill self-entitled bastards such as yourself."
- ―Maes' sarcastic self-introduction
Maes Stryder is a officer of the Marines and Pirate Hunter Division.
Average height, brown eyes, Stryder has short black hair combed back with a few strands sticking forwards in the centre. Usually wears a pair of blue trousers, belt and a choice of shirt. When on duty he wears a long overcoat with a lot of inside pockets, black leather gloves and a hat with pheasant feathers. During combat Maes carries his weapons on a variety of holsters worn on his legs and over his shoulders. Most unique is an orange tattoo of a flame on his left forearm.
Cheerful most of the time but can become deadly serious in a heartbeat if the situation requires it, has the uncontrollable bad habit of being a slight flirt when meeting certain women. When angered Maes can become beyond reason at times and relentless. Has a strong sense of justice and is willing to hunt down any pirate, regardless of how little the bounty. However it's not unheard of him giving "head starts" to keep a situation fair.
Has a drive to explore the world, tinker and meet the world of his dreams.
Own Moral justice - A deeper will though is Maes' drive to bring pirates to justice and live in a united peaceful world.
- Characters with this trait have a talent in making new inventions and contraptions. Need an unusual weapon or device? Odds are they can make it. Inventors more often than not benefit from the Tech Savvy trait, as it allows them to quickly understand new technology or devices.
- Characters with this trait have a focus on studying and applying science. A character with this trait may focus on one or many different kinds of sciences. Scientists know how to work with chemicals and understand concepts such as utilizing electricity and applying physics. This profession best compliments a character who also holds the Engineer or Doctor profession traits. Bookworm and Tech Savvy may also benefit them.
Originally from a small coastal town on the far side of Toroa, Maes was born to William and Maria Stryder, the town weapon smith and doctor. From a young age Maes showed natural intelligence and was deeply fascinated by physics and mechanics, following close to his father's footsteps. When he was 16 the town was raided by pirates, together with a group of his friends they tried to fend them off but failed, in the process Maes lost someone he knew since childhood; his friend Riza. Vowing to avenge her Maes spent years learning naval studies and honing his skills with ranged weapons, leaving home at 18 to try and join the Marines.
- "A great man once said, to solve a problem, use a gun. If that doesn't work, use a bigger gun."
- ―Maes, moments before opening fire with a bazooka.